From the moment you hit the button to book your flights, the excitement hits. You tell your friends of your next adventure and the first thing people ask is who are you travelling with? The answer, I’m off on my own, often gets responses like, you are so brave, don’t you get lonely, or aren’t you scared of terrorism. Yes if you think I am brave then I am, no I don’t get lonely and no I’m not leading my life being afraid of terrorism.
I love to travel solo, wherever I go. Here’s why:
- I don’t have to answer to anyone.
- I can go where and when I please.
- I don’t have anyone to tell me I snore when I sleep.
- I meet new people from all walks of life and different places.
- I don’t have to be on a schedule or visit tourist attractions if I don’t want to.
- I am solely responsible for my own safety and comfort.
- I don’t have someone else telling me what I should or shouldn’t do.
- I can eat what I like, when I like.
- I can sleep in or get up early if I please.
- And I can change any plans at the last minute.
Solo travel as an older woman is a wonderful experience. Yes at times you feel like you wish a certain person was there with you to share an awe inspiring moment, but most places you go there are others to share these experiences with. Modern technology also helps us to share with others in real time. I often share moments with others over FaceTime or Skype.
You can always find someone to take a photo for you if you have an aversion to selfies like I do.
Most of all, being on your own, allows you to immerse yourself in the local culture and traditions, to experience what it is like to live in a different country outside of your comfort zone. Why not give it a try!
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.
Error: admin-ajax.php test was not successful. Some features may not be available.
Please visit this page to troubleshoot.